To head into spring with your best face forward.
1.”Cleansing, toning, and moisturizing twice daily, every day, and then adding a facial steam with or without a mask about once weekly is probably one of the easiest ways to ease skin into spring and summer,” says Spagnolo.- pluginsing the right cleanser is also key.
2. “You need to know your skin type — oily, dry, sensitive, acne-prone, or menopausal — and then choose the mildest cleanser you can find in whatever category you fit into,” says Waldorf. The same is true, she says, when choosing a masque.
3. “You just have to know what you want to accomplish — like tightening pores, reducing oiliness, adding moisture — and then choose the masque suited for that problem,” Waldorf tells WebMD.
4. In addition, Citron adds that the one thing you should never do to your skin on your own is what doctors call “extraction” — mechanically removing blackheads or whiteheads from your pores.
“This should only be done by a professional — trying it on your own can result in scarring and even a possible infection,” says Citron.
While any trip to the local drugstore or beauty supply house can net you hundreds of choices for moisturizers, toners, and even facial masques, experts from the Spagnolo Day Spa offer these at-home recipes for winter-into-spring pampering skin care:
- Brown sugar/olive oil/ginger body scrub: Mix 2 cups of brown sugar with 1 cup of olive oil and add a small amount of ground ginger. Mix well into a paste. Using circular motions, rub your entire body, paying special attention to elbows, heels, and knees. Rinse with a body wash and wet washcloth and towel dry. The result: Softer, suppler, and less dry skin.
- Milk and honey foot treatment: Pour 2 cups of milk per one cup of honey into a basin large enough to hold both feet. Soak for 15 minutes, lightly massaging the mixture into skin. Results: Softer, smoother skin without harsh exfoliation. You can also use the milk/honey combo to soak elbows or hands, or pat gently onto the face and massage in. Always rinse with tepid water.
- Egg white and citrus face masque: (normal to oily skin) — Mix 2 raw egg whites with 1/4 cup of fresh orange juice. Apply to skin and let rest for 15 minutes until dry. Rinse well with warm water. The result: Tighter pores and a brighter, less dull complexion.
- Oatmeal face masque: (sensitive skin) — Mix oatmeal with boiling water according to package instructions. Let cool, then apply to skin and let rest for 15 minutes. Rinse well with warm water. The result: A radiant, moisturized glow.